Health Safety & Security Officer – Haiti
Trigon Associates, llc has an immediate need for a full-time Health Safety & Security (HS&S) Officer to support a rehabilitation project at the Cap Haitien Port (CHP), in Cap Haitien. This project is on behalf of USAID/Haiti Mission in partnership with the Government of Haiti (GOH) – represented by the Ministry of Planning and External Cooperation, the Ministry of Economy and Finance, and the Ministry of Public Works, Transport and Communications. The HS&S Officer will work with the Chief of Party (COP) and Quality Assurance (QA) Engineer as well as other team members working at the project site.
The HS&S Officer will primarily be responsible for ensuring that the contractor complies with all relevant health, safety, and security regulations on-site, as well as for developing and implementing policies and procedures to ensure the safety of employees, visitors, and contractors. Additional responsibilities include:
- Conducting regular safety and security audits and inspections;
- Assisting with conducting risk assessments;
- Checking contractor safety measures and enforcing preventative measures;
- Reviewing all contractor safety submittals, shop drawing, and preconstruction submittals;
- Monitoring contractor compliance and adherence to their safety plans;
- Performing routine Surveillance/Audits of site Contractor Quality Control Programs;
- Reviewing documentation for the certification of construction and testing equipment;
- Ensuring that all employees, visitors and contractors are aware of and comply with health, safety and security policies and procedures;
- Investigating health, safety and security accidents and incidents and making recommendations for corrective action;
- Providing training to employees on health, safety and security issues;
- Maintaining records of all health, safety and security incidents and investigations;
- Serving as a liaison with project stakeholders on health, safety and security matters; and
- Staying up to date with changes in health, safety and security legislation and best practice.
Successful candidates will possess the followings skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in occupational health and safety, safety management, engineering or related concentration;
- Certificate in occupational health and safety;
- Knowledge of OSHA, EPA, and other applicable regulations;
- Minimum 5 years of experience in health, safety, and security management on construction of ports or similar maritime facilities or other construction facilities;
- Diligent with great attention to detail;
- Proficient written and spoken English and French skills are required;
- Excellent technical writing and verbal communication skills; and
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Candidates who also have experience with USAID-funded projects are preferred.
For more details regarding this position, please email a cover letter and CV to HR@trigonassociates.com.